Author: Pavel Ponec, email@example.com
Date of the last update: Februar 2007
Home page: http://pponec.net/peki//index.htm
This is a home page of a cross-platform PEKI dictionary program (software), which is designed for looking up words in translation dictionaries. Every data of the dictionary are using locally.
A type of the program licence is freeware. It means you can use it for private and commercial use, but it is forbidden to decompile and modify it in each other way (modifications in file lang.properties are permitted, though). Author is not liable for any injuries, which could arise from using it.
The program does not contain any own vocabulary. However in a chapter Download is prepared a common distribution containing the program PEKI dictionary with some selected text databases, whose licence enables free distribution without a charge. More detailed informations are mentioned on.
PEKI dictionary can be started in operation systems type Windows, Linux, MacOS, OS/2, Solaris and the others, on which is install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) distribution Standard Edition (SE) type (all languages, including English) version 1.4 and higher. Appropriate JRE can be free downloaded on some of these pages:
Screenshots:You can see some screenshots of the PEKI dictionary here The screenshots where created on an operating systems Windows and Linux .
A startpoint to many dictionaries (only Czech text) by author David Zbíral contains a few databases for download and a many useful links on the pages with similary topic. You can found an detail review of many dictionary programs include PEKI dictionary. A link on the source is here: http://www.david-zbiral.cz/jazyky.htm.
There is a list of dictionaries which are used in a common distribution:
- Ancient Greek-Czech
There is a large source of a convenient vocabularies on a project http://dicts.info. Author of the project is Zdeněk Brož. Vocabularies are generated and its correctness is growed by so-called validation proces.There is a list of dictionaries which are used in a common distribution:
- Japanese (Romaji)-Czech
- ... and more
A convenient vocabulary is German-English word list. A topical list exceeds 160 thousand entries and it can be downloaded here: http://www.dict.cc/download/dict-wordlist.txt . A vocabulary licence is GPL Version 2; GNU General Public License.
Some convenient databases can be downloaded on pages: http://www.slovnyk.org.ua/prg/solomkov/dicf/ . But the databases are generated and it is estimated, that they are correct to 80 %. A vocabulary licence is GPL Version 2; GNU General Public License. I have selected English-Russian, English-Ukrainian and English-Poland vocabulary to a distribution.
English-Czech dictionary. Convenient vocabulary are accessible on pages of project GNU/FDL Anglicko-Český slovník, which have got a licence GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.1. Vocabulary is updated on project home page every day. You can download American pronunciation on pages of this project too. Link to the project is http://slovnik.zcu.cz the author of the project is Milan Svoboda .
Support this project and translate (if you can) few words in your free time, please!
German-Czech dictionary. Convenient vocabulary are accessible on pages of project GNU/FDL Německo-Český slovník, which have got a licence GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.1. Link to the project is http://slovnik.zcu.cz the author of the project is Zdeněk Brož.
Further English-Czech dictionary is accessible - by the author: Michal Kolesa. This author gave on 21st September 2002 his welcoming agreement for inserting his vocabulary into a common distribution with program PEKI dictionary. This vocabulary you can not modify nor to distribute separately.
The licence of the vocabulary (in Czech language only) is mentioned in a head of data file slovnik_komi.txt.
Product File Size Description Common distribution in format ZIP or EXE - contains the latest version (1.21) of program PEKI dictionary together with 28th databases and with an American pronunciation. inst-peki.zip
Installation Distribution 1.21 + Java 1.5.0_06
an instalation for Windows from one package
PekiSetupJ.exe 20 MB Instalation PEKI dictionary version 1.21 in format ZIP. From the distribution, which has been mentioned before, it contains only language translations and starting scripts. It does not contain any vocabularies! inst-peki-e.zip 0.2 MB Installation PEKI dictionary version 1.21 - a single JAR format without starting script an any data. peki.jar 0.2 MB Program description An old stable distribution contains PEKI dictionary version 1.00. inst-peki-10.zip 2.1 MB
- For repeated making binary databases you must before starting the program remove a database subdirectory.
- You can open a Frame for creating some binary databases so that you launch program with parameter: -dbmanager.
- When the binary databases are done - a subdirectory datasource is not meaningful for successive working of the program. But the file import.ini contains important informations for an appropriate next import (i.e. from actualised text sources).
- You can modify file collection called lang.properties if you miss any more language(s) for data import. For a modification of these files I recommend to use some of programs, which are mentioned in chapter Recommended Java Programs.
- Textual translations of national languages, which are mentioned in file lang.properties are not necessary (for running of the program). If the program does not find this files, it will use standard equipment of Java language for naming languages.
- Sequence of the databases, which are figured in menu of the program, is determined by alphabetical order of their file names.
- Switching among the databases by hot keys does not work on OS Linux Mandrake on a national keybord. In the case there are supported numerical hotkeys too (in combination with Ctrl). A English keybord have no problem.
- The starting scripts does not run on some PCs. In the case I recommend to modify an absolute path to the file java in the scripts. One of the reasons, why there is this problem, an unstandard instalation of the setting Java can be.
History of Changes:
Version Date Description of a change 1.22 November 2005
- Home Page was moved.
- Documentation was fixed.
- Some dictionaries was freshed.
1.21 January 2005
- Selected table row is centered after a window resizing.
- Bad button size is fixed in a skin "Metal".
- A majority number of source vocabularies are updated.
1.19 October 2004
- the detail view can be formatted by (own) CSS. The feature uses some new databases by author: David Zbíral
- new hotkeys are implemeted (Ctrl-Enter for switching to detail mode (and back) form look up text field - for example)
- you can switch on an antialiasing for the detail text (see readme.txt)
- litle improvements are done
1.10 April 2004
- installer for Windows OS is created
- dialog "About program" is fixed (bug was regestered on some PCs)
- e-mail link action (on a HTML page) is fixed
- you can scroll the whole range of table by a mouse wheel
- number of litle bugs are fixed
- litle improvements are done
1.09 February 2004
- possibility of a batch import more independent dictionary databases
- parameters for ration import can be saved into a file
- support of import from code page UTF-8
- graphical user interface enables switching among vocabularies
- quicker looking a record up.
- new format of a binary database
- graphic setting of the program supports Czech, English, German, Russian and Ukraine languages.
- The program requires a version JRE minimally 1.4.
1.00 December 2003
- It is possible to hide a right part with navigation keys for better utilization a place on the screen
- The program remembers last size and locating of a his window on a screen
- A new hot key (F12) for permiting/forbiding mode for translating a text from clipboard
- I made new starting scripts fot Windows and Linux for easy starting the program. An original solution is kept.
- A twinning a first letter in a looking up text field is fixed.
- Some English translations in database creating Frame are finished.
- Current version is the last, which supports JRE version 1.3.
0.99 September 2003
- Support of quick looking up: record is found gradualy, how user writes character by character. This property can be switched off./li>
- The program remembers some his states for next starting (a symptom of quick looking up and a graphical look)
- A wrong drawing of main window is fixed.
0.98 February 2003
- correcting of a mistake, which appears, when program was started in some unsupported language environment (ie. Italian).
- correcting of a mistake, which was occasioned by a presence of diacritic notes in a program directory name. This bug was found only in versions JRE 1.4+.
- a supporting of hyperlink in the help.
- a little optimalization of the code
0.97 October 2002
- a better supporting JRE 1.4 (Java Runtime)
- program supports an import of the vocabulary by the author: Michal Kolesa
- little improvements:
- in a browser you can draw a pull over the end of the line - for reading a new bundle of lines
- a checking out a right version JRE supporting a Czech language (not only).
0.96 May 2002
- a supporting of the import of a pronunciation from project GNU/GPL English-Czech vocabulary
0.95 April 2002
- new items in the form for the import of datas
- little touching up for Linux (a better supporting the fonts)
0.94 February 2002
- a displaing the licence of imported database
- an internal format of the database is changed
- looking up the entries, when you copy a text into system clipboard
- some little mistakes are fixed
0.93 February 2002
- a licence text is fixed in the form for data import form
- the form for data import is translated to Czech language
- when none entry (of the dictionary) does not contain a pronunciation, an appropriate column of the table will be hidden.
- program release a memory if you close a Help window
- fixing some typist errors and little mistakes.
0.92 January 2002
- I decided to give the program (its GUI) a name. I chose name PEKI dictionary
- a better function of navigation keys in the table tabulce and the detail
- a home page of the dictioanared has been created
0.90 November 2001
- a graphic boundary-line is polyglot
- a documentation (Help) of the program has been created
- a figuring and having controlof a detail by cursor keys.
- little changes of a user graphical interface
0.80 September 2001
- the first usable version of the dictionary is released
- program can import data into its database and
- can display results in the table of graphical user interface
The my other programs:
- PPSee - program for creating an HTML photo album - created in Java language (link)
- CharMap - the map of characters in available in Java programs (include PEKI dictionary) (link)
- RunJ4 - some scripts for starting a Java application (link)
Recomended Java programs:
- JamP - The Crossplattform MP3 Player (link)
- jlGui - Another MP3 Player (link)
- ToyBox - Assorted desktop games and toys (link)
- jEdit - Great Text Editor (link)
- Html2cz - Translation of HTML pages into Czech language (link)
- BlueJ - Java Teaching (link)
- Robocode - Java Teaching by simulation of tank battle (link)
- Zaval Java Resource Editor - The Java language properties Editor (link)
- Attesoro - Another Java language properties Editor (link)
- NetBeans IDE - The Integrated Development Environment for Java (link)